Saturday, November 8, 2008

Soup a la...cow hoof?

Almost 4 years ago now, I went to Honduras with my mom on my first mission trip. There, we stayed on site of a clinic in the tiny city of Guimaca. On day, while we were eating dinner, I found a fly in my food and proceeded to pick it out and continue eating. The missionary there began telling us about the 3 Stages of missionary eating:
  • Stage 1: You find a bug in your food, throw out your food, and start over with a new plate.
  • Stage 2: You find a bug in your food, pick it out, and continue eating.
  • Stage 3: You find bug in your food, keep eating, and say “Mmm, extra protein.”

Well folks, last night I officially moved to Stage 4. I ate cow hoof.

They serve a soup here that is made of broth (which I now know is cow hoof broth), potatoes, greens, carrots, and giant chunks of blubbery-looking things. These, they explained to me, are called “pata de vaca” literally translating into “cow foot.” Apparently, they are extremely high in protein and vitamins. Despite the fact that they look like blubber and taste like rubber.

I had been able to discreetly pick them out of my food up until last night. Last night, dinner was broth with a giant bowl of pata de vaca. Mm,mm, good.

Anyway, I’m definitely getting my share of new experiences, good and not so good.

Number one moto: Be Flexible!!!

No comments: