Wednesday, November 12, 2008

To all my TEACHERS

I am passionate about my girls.

I am passionate about education.

I am passionate about my girls getting an education.

They’re not always so thrilled.

The girls here at The Oasis go to school on-site using a home school program based out of Guatemala City, called Hebron. We bring in 4 teachers, one for grades 1, 2-3, 4-6, and 7-9. We have just started using the Hebron program this year and many of the girls are finding it difficult, because the level of difficulty of the material is much higher than they have ever had to deal with before. Also, it often requires independent study, not facilitated by the teacher—also something they are not used to.

I am excited to see the girls here receiving a higher level of education; however we are fighting an uphill battle. Not a single girl here is ahead or even up to speed in her studies. So many of them started late, some not beginning kindergarten until the age of 8-10, that they missed the formative years where children learn the basics of all learning (letters, numbers, counting, listening, following directions, etc.) We have 10 year olds in kindergarten, 14 year olds in 4th grade.

Also, the method of learning here in Guatemala is far different than that of the States. There’s no push to understand the “why” behind what you’re learning. All is rote memorization--- copy a paragraph and memorize your multiplication tables. As good as memorization is, it does not facilitate the ability to be able to solve problems other than the ones you’ve memorized. For example, they know that 3 x 4=12, but they have not learned that multiplication is addition of the same number to itself (they don’t understand that 3+3+3+3 = 3 x 4). Therefore, whenever they are presented with a new problem, they freeze and don’t know how to begin to work it out. If they understood the concept behind what they are learning, they might be able to work it out, but problem solving is just not taught.

We received the girls’ final exam scores last week. Many failed 3-5 classes, and those who passed are in the minority. So, this week we have 8am-12 tutoring for all girls who will be taking retake exams in just a few weeks. I love to tutor. It has always given me such a thrill to teach someone something new, to see them begin to understand a concept that confused them before. It’s an adrenaline rush. Yet, I struggle with how to fight the education system, their years without study, laziness, and lack of confidence. Often, I find myself regressing to the very basics of what they are studying, to explain the fundamentals of algebra, biology, or European history. Every day I am reminded of how grateful I am to all of my teachers, tutors, and those who took the time to teach me over the past 18 years. They may never know it, but the information they so painstakingly explained to me over and over is now being passed on to beautiful Guatemalan girls. So, THANK YOU, to all of my teachers—all forms—over the past years. You’re words carried farther than you ever expected.

1 comment:

Jill Gardner said...

I feel your frustration. I tutored for several years in a city school (and am praying about returning to a similar role), and my biggest frustration was that the work I was asked to do with the students was almost always several levels above what they were ready for. In the 45 min. I had with each student, there wasn't time to back up and start "where they were at" and bring them up to the level of the assignment we were given. And yet, how else can learning take place? I will be praying that as you tutor, you will be able to quickly find the best starting place and move them along to where they need to be. And that the Guatemalans who are supervising you will understand the importance of teaching for understanding, not just memorizing propositions and equations that are meaningless to the person reciting them. And I'm also praying that the girls, who obviously adore you and can't help but know how much you love them, will begin to value what you value and be better off themselves because of it.