Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Culture 101

I lied, I'm not going to tell you about The Oasis just yet. I will, I promise! But first, there are some things I'd really like to let you all know about life here in Guatemala:
  1. During the rainy season, it rains HARD at least once a day, often 2-3 times daily. If you are planning to travel to a two-season country, BUY A RAINCOAT! Oh, and don't expect anything to ever dry.
  2. Guatemalans are called "Chapines" (pronounced "Chap" as in "Chapstick" and "e-n-z")
  3. People who live in Antigua are called "Panzaverdes," which literally translates to "Green stomachs."
  4. Every morning, at 5 am, the churches like to celebrate the fact that it's morning by setting off fireworks. They continue setting off fireworks all through the day. My first day here, I thought a revolution was happening outside. After a while you get used to it. Guatemalans will find any reason to party with fireworks.
  5. Speaking of fireworks, on your birthday, people light fireworks outside your bedroom window to celebrate! SWEET!!!
  6. I went to Alotenango to see the corn festival and the kids at the school there performed traditional Mayan dances while wearing costumes made of cardboard and adorned with fireworks. They then lit the fireworks and danced around the stage. Somehow I don't see that going over well in the States...
  7. Seriously, they really like fireworks here.
  8. At every meal we eat purred black beans, rice, and corn tortillas.
  9. Oatmeal is a drink. It's a little runnier than in the States, so it works.
  10. Whenever you pass someone who's sitting at a table or eating, it's polite to say "Buen provecho" (the closest translation is "Bon Apetite")
  11. Greet others and say goodbye with an air kiss on the right cheek.
  12. They eat cereal with warm milk.
  13. Greet everyone, not just the people you know.
  14. Contrary to popular belief, Guatemala is cold. I have worn nothing but long pants, layers of shirts, and sweaters. And they told me that October is warm month. So get rid of all those notions in your head that I'm lying on a beach sunbathing.
  15. Babies' first foods here are squash and coffee.
  16. They put sugar on EVERYTHING! Coffee, tortillas, cereal, tea, I'm definitely a fan.
There's lots more, but hopefully you now have a taste of life in Guatemala (it's sweet because of all that sugar!)

In reality, although the culture is wonderful and I am really enjoying learning how to live life Guatemalan-style, I have and continue to struggle with culture-shock. Overall, the Guatemalan (and Latin) culture is one of warmth, openness, hospitality, and family. Unlike in the States, where it's often nearly impossible for an outsider to break into a new group, the people here welcome you with open arms. They take the time to talk with you, invite you to their homes, and treat you as part of the family, even if you've only known them for a few hours.

However, there are aspects of the culture that I really struggle with. Single, Guatemalan girls are nearly always in their homes. The people on the streets and the ones who will initiate conversations are the guys. Do not falsely call me stereotypical when I say that these guys are not the ones you necessarily want to have a conversation with. Culturally, time spent between girls and guys is not the same here as in the US. They cannot be just friends, just talking, or just hanging out. Social cues that I unconsciously pick up on in the American culture change when you enter Guatemala. I am functioning in a world where I don't know all of the subtle social cues. This makes it hard for me to understand what another person is thinking. Often, because of the difference in culture, I perceive a situation very differently from the Guatemalan next to me.

Also, cat calling here is nothing like in the States. I cannot walk down the street without having cars honk, guys on motorcycles slow down, and pick-up lines yelled at me. Once, a car even slowed around the corner and guys reached out, trying to grab me. I have stopped going to dance classes because even (especially) the teachers are way touchy-feely. Guys will sit down next to you in the park out of the blue and spend the next half hour talking to you. I know that some of you are thinking "Why's she complaining about getting attention?" The fact is that the only thing that matters to them is that I'm a Caucasian female. They do it to every white girl who walks down the street, and frankly, they do not have the boundaries that hold guys back in the States. They think nothing of stroking your hair, putting their arm around your waist, rubbing you back, etc. After knowing you for 2 minutes!! The stereotype of Caucasian women here in that they're easy, and guys are out looking to get someone into bed.

Please do not feel that I am saying all Guatemalan guys are bad. I have met some wonderful, faithful, God fearing guys, and I know that there are lots more out there. The fact is, they're not the ones coming up to you on the streets.

Needless to say, it is difficult to find friends here. I came, rather nievly believing that I could make friends with only Guatemalans, speak only Spanish, emerge myself in the culture. And I will continue to do that to the extent of my ability. However, I was talking with a fellow young, single, Caucasian female missionary who has been here ~1 1/2 years. She encouraged me in my struggle and helped me to find ways to avoid unwanted situations. She told me that many missionaries go through extreme highs and lows during their time on the field, especially in the first years. The fact of the matter is, I cannot change my skin, my gender, my age, or my ethnicity. I can, however, trust God that He will continue to send friends my way, to encourage me, and to protect me. He has not failed me yet, and He never will.

Please be in prayer with me as I continue my journey through the beautiful, though sometimes difficult, Guatemalan culture.

No comments: