Friday, August 7, 2009

Ice Breakers

Often times, at the beginning of a new year in elementary school, our teacher started class with an ice-breaker to help everyone get to know each other. Mostly, we played name games, consisting of all the students sitting in a circle and Person A stating their name. Then, Person B would say their name along with Person A's name. Person C then said their name as well as both Person A and Person B's name, until we went all the way around the circle, with the final person stating the names of everyone in the class.

Another ice breaker specifically stands out in my mind. It was called the "Trust Game." Two students paired up, one with their back to the other. The person in front would spread their arms out like a cross and then, closing their eyes, fall backwards without stepping back or doing anything to stop themselves from hitting the ground. Their partner, who was standing behind them, was responsible for catching them before they hit the ground. The purpose of the game was to help us learn to trust one another, as falling back requires a large level of confidence in one's partner.

I believe that God asks us to play the "Trust Game" with Him every day. He says, "Come on, close your eyes and fall. I promise I'll catch you."

Sometimes we tell him to wait: "Not right now, God. I'm busy today. I have a 2 pm appointment with the CEO and I've got to get my speech ready."

Sometimes we ask for a sign: "I know you say that you are always with me and will never leave me or forsake me, but the problem is...I can't SEE you. So, how about a bolt of lightning or even just a look at your finger...just a pinky!"

Sometimes we try to hang up safety nets: "Listen God, I'm just going to put a chair here underneath me, just in case you don't happen to catch me. But don't worry, I trust you completely."

Sometimes we say that we're ready but we just stand there with our arms out and eyes closed, but never actually fall.

Through all of our antics, God stands there saying, "Just do it. Fall. I'm big, I'm strong, I'll never take my eyes off you, not even for a minute. I promise that I'll catch you. But to experience my strength, you have to fall."

Now don't get me wrong, falling is terrifying. In the 0.15 seconds that it takes to fall into your partner's arms your entire life flashes before your eyes and you envision the scene with EMTs and ambulances rushing to save your life after your head splits open on the hard ground. Everything slows down and it seems like minutes before you finally hit your partners arms and start to breath again as they pull you upright, away from the ground.

I have never once been dropped...and that's when I'm playing with humans.

Think of how much bigger and powerful God is, and yet how much less we trust him.

I am not saying that asking for a sign is a sin. Gideon did it twice and both times God granted his request. (Judges 6:36-40.) Moses asked to see God and was allowed to see God's back as He passed by the cave where Moses was sitting. (Exodus 33:18-23.) However, God has called on us to trust Him even when we can't see him and when He doesn't send a sign. We don't need a safety net--He's big enough. We don't need to reason with Him--faith is not logic-based (Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.")


Rather, God asks you to close your eyes and fall, trusting that He WILL catch you.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I really like this, Becky. :)