Thursday, March 19, 2009

Viva la Vida Mexicana

Living in another country for an extended period of time has attachments that I never thought about on 2 week mission trips. For example, the government kicking you out of the country every 180 days. They like to call it "renewing your Visa." So, I decided to take the opportunity to do some out-of-country traveling. Some of you may remember the Coronado-Guerrero family (The are a Mexican family who lived in Farmington for almost 5 years and went to Ward Church.) They graciously invited me to come and stay with them in their hometown of Villahermosa, MX for 4 days.


At 6:30 in the morning, I hopped onto a plane and headed off to Mexico City. From Mexico City I took another plane to the gorgeous city of Villahermosa (the city really lives up to its name, as it literally translates to "Beautiful City." Flying in, I looked out the window and saw only winding lakes surrounding by lush vegetation. Letty and Jose picked me up at the airport and we went out for some traditional Mexican food (aka delicious.) Letty is a university professor of health studies as well as the director of the health department. They also own a clinic, where a team of ~30 people treats sickness, broken bones, preform surgeries, and provide medicine.

We picked up Paola (17) and Karina (14, going to have her quinceaños this year) at school and headed over to their grandparents house to meet Pablo(10) and have lunch with their grandparents. One part of the Latin culture that I respect and adore is their hospitality and inclusiveness of others. Within hours of meeting the Coronado-Guerreros, I was in their grandparents' house, watching Mexican soap operas with them, and being treated like one of the family. They asked me to think of them as grandparents and adopted me into their family instantly. Just think of the witness we could have if we treated all outsiders in such a way. Talk about loving people like Jesus.

During my time there, the Coronado-Guerreros took me all over Villahermosa, obviously so proud of their beautiful city. We went to the local sports park, which in addition to tennis courts, soccer fields and a track, included a skate park for rollerblading! That night we went to the movies (my first time in ~8 months). The next day, we spent at el Museo de la Venta, an outdoor "museum." You walk through the Mexican jungle and along the path are many Oyacan sculptures as well as animals, birds, and reptiles scattered throughout the park.

That night, we went out walking through the streets of Villahermosa and I was taken aback by the beauty of it all. Everywhere I looked, people were walking through lit streets with their families and loved ones. Vendors stood by their stands selling everything from meringue to T-shirts and bookmarks. On one street we watched as couples danced to the music of a marimba band. We walked all around the city, to the governor's palace, lit in the colors of the Mexican flag, the bridge over the river, and through the quiet back streets.

I spent the night in a hammock strung from one side of the girls' room to the other. That was a new experience! Sunday morning, we went to church and then made our way down to central park. On Sunday mornings they close off a large section of the main road and rent out bikes. Unfortunately, my wheel was not exactly connected as I found out when I watched it rolling away down the street...oops! We walked the boardwalk around the large lagoon in Central Park and watched several girls practicing their quinceaños dances.

Following our afternoon in the park everyone got ready for the weekly Sunday afternoon Guerrero family reunion. The whole family gathers and everyone shares a meal, spending time with eachother and enjoying the company of family. They even brought a cake and we celebrated my birthday with another family member's. Lots of laughter and good Mexican food later, I left, feeling like I had my own family in Mexico.

Monday, my last day with the Coronado-Guerreros I spent with Letty at her work at the University. They took me to the airport and I had to say goodbye to my new Mexican family, complete with sisters, a brother, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins. Looking back at my time with them, my mind continually reverts back to their kindness, acceptance, and hospitality of me throughout every moment of my stay with them.

A mi familia mexicana- Gracias por todo. Ustedes son my familia por siempre y les quiero un monton!

4 comments:

Amy Elizabeth said...

i mean...
latins are pretty cool :)
and mexico is too...

Anonymous said...

Hi becky...todavia te extrañamos y siempre.AY! que linda. todo lo que escribiste me gusto mucho y a ti gracias por venir y ser parte de nuestras vidas. Quiero que regreses para pasarla mas padre! YEAH!Ya le voy a enseñar a mis abuelitos tu blog para que lo vean y se los voy a traducir. bueno que tengas un lindo...no, HERMOSO dia. TE QUIERO MUCHO....Love:
PAO <3

Anonymous said...

hi becky...i miss u so and forever.think u for all the fotos u put in your blog i want u to come again and you all ways u will be my sister americana in my corazon no cambies ok...te quiero mucho....:
jose pablo <3

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
As I said you are such a good writer and I want to thank you for writing such a great story all about your experience you had together with us and the rest of the Guerrero Family. It is easy to adopt(sp?) you because the beautiful way you are. I am glad you take us as your forever mexican family. We will never forget those 4 wonderful days you spent with us. You are a blessing and an angel who turned that weekend into something different. God bless you and remember this is going to be your mexican home, forever. We love you.
The Coronado Guerrero Family